Friday, February 1, 2008

birthday


Today, February 1st, is my Nathan's 8th birthday. I can hardly believe that this child is 8 years old. For many years, after Nolan, I didn't think that I would ever have another baby so when we finally made it past 20 weeks and were home free during my pregnancy, I was elated knowing that we would have another son. My children's actual "birth" days are memories so fresh in my mind, they are almost like yesterday and I hope it stays that way forever; those 4 days were the happiest and most memorable I've ever had or will ever have. The moments following his birth are so clear to me that I can still remember what his skin felt like and tasted like when I kissed him on his forehead for the first time. I remember asking over and over if he was alright and I immediately ordered my husband to leave my side and go straight to Nathan and the nurses who were taking care of him. The little guy had some trouble with fluid in his lungs following the c-section and was in the NICU for 8 hours or so, but he did just great and came home right on schedule.

Being Nathan's mom is a true gift, ,mostly because of his gentle, sweet spirit and his kind heart. As I have mentioned in an earlier post, he sees the good in everything and everyone and I truly wish that I could be more like him in so many ways.

I try earnestly to teach my boys the things that are important in life - strong morals, standing up for what you believe in, trusting in God, loving your family, being kind to others, etc, yet I find that the children teach me just as much or more than I teach them. I never really thought about that happening until I'd been a parent for a while, however now I learn from my boys on a daily basis.

My prayer is that Nathan will always be the loving, compassionate person that he is today; I know in my heart that he will be. I hope he knows each and every moment of his life that he is truly a gift from God; he proves it every day! I love you Nathan.

"Who is it that loves me and will love me forever with an affection which no chance, no misery, no crime of mine can do away? It is you, my Mother". -Thomas Carlyle


No comments: