Monday, January 21, 2008

decorating for the holidays

As you know, my Nathan, who is almost 8, is the kindest, sweetest child in the world. His heart is as big as the sun. He is the type who will play with the lonely child on the playground because he or she has no one to play with or he will give his last bite of ice cream to his brother just because he asks for it. Nathan also is my most inquisitive child. He wants to know everything about everything and he shares his knowledge with anyone who will listen (including the window installers at our house today). This brings me to my Martin Luther King story.

Today is MLK day and prior to today the schools have been teaching the children all about MLK, what he stood for and how he helped change things in our world, as well as about his death. Friday, on our way to Nashville for Nathan's vision therapy, he began telling me all he had learned about MLK at school and told me that Monday was "Martin Luther King Day, a holiday". I told him how federal and state offices and schools and banks we closed on that day but that Mommy and Daddy had to work because not all businesses close for MLK day. We talked about a few other things and then Nathan asked me if we have any Martin Luther King "things". I asked him what he meant and he said " you know, posters and stuff to decorate with". He said he really wished we had an MLK sign to put up in our yard. I explained to him that people don't really decorate for MLK day - we just think of him and the important things he did during his lifetime. I think he was somewhat satisfied with my answer but wouldn't have been surprised to see Nathan on the computer printing out pictures of MLK to tape to our windows and doors.

I suppose those that don't know Nathan personally don't really understand the meaning of this post or why I chose to write about it. Those that do know him understand completely. He is full of wonder and sees the best in everyone and everything. I aspire to be more like him!

"Blessed is the home where each puts the other's happiness first" - Anonymous

No comments: